Wednesday, December 3, 2008

2 more days

For the last six months I have been having so much fun tormenting the other members of the Commack Clan (and some non-member friends as well) because they are now all 50 and I'm not. Well, be it as it may, my tormenting days have dwindled down to two. I can deny it no longer, I too, will be 50 in just two days. I tried to turn back the hands of time, but much to my dismay, the day is nearly here. I cannot hide under the blanket any longer. I've received numerous cards already (some of which were literally the ones I sent to someone else and recycled - you think you're so funny, don't you Kath?), even a phone call from my father-in-law, singing happy birthday to me (better early than late, he said). The deal sealer; however, was the card from my Mom. In the years since my dad has passed, one of the things I've missed the most have been his birthday cards to me, he always had such a gift of saying so much in so few words. Today, as I read my Mom's card, the tears rolling down my face, I still had to smile - she brought my dad back to me, if even for a fleeting moment. Thanks, Mom. Maybe 50 won't be so bad, after all.

2 comments:

caryl said...

I'll comment on the big 5-0 tomorrow, but I've been meaning to tell you that all of my crazy Palumbo cousins live in Florida and it sounds like they're hovering around the area where your family is. Maybe you guys passed in the Piggly Wiggly!

Gail, Robby, Renee, Susan, Michael and Brian live in North Port (yes, Florida!), Ft. Myers and Pt. Charlotte.

Enjoy your last day being 49. tick tock!

Gramzof3 said...

That's too funny! One thing I did notice down there is that a lot of the towns and streets have the same name as Long Island towns. I'll have to check it out on a map. Tick tock my ass - this stinks!!!