Sunday, December 14, 2008

The Empty Nest

So, my friend and I are driving back from Brooklyn yesterday when she asks me: "How do you do it? - how do you stand it that your kids are so far away from you?"

It's a great question. Sometimes I don't really have an answer. That's not what I told her though. What I said was this: "When I know that I'm going to see one of them later that day - like when I'm on the plane flying to Florida, or when I'm in the car driving to Boston, that feeling of anticipation and excitement is so awesome, and the hugs hello given and received, are so delicious that it is almost - yes, ALMOST worth the wait.

I didn't tell her this, either - at least once a day, I picture one or both of them surprising me with a visit. And when they do, though it's not often - that almost makes it worth the wait, too.

No comments: