Friday, December 19, 2008

December 19, 1982

I found a picture last night. In it was a very pregnant me, sitting with my 17 month old son, the same son, who today turns 26! In the picture I am 26. The almost born baby was born on May 26!

Today, as I sit here looking at the snow falling harder and faster, (the weather report isn't helpful, because the tv screen is completely white!) I remember that day, in 1982, at 5:08 in the morning, when my first born child arrived. Unlike today, it was not snowing! I think my mom got to the hospital before I did! (I remember that my dad couldn't be there because he was in Florida taking care of his ill mom - but as soon as the baby was born, my mom called him on the phone and said "hello, Grandpa" and he immediately returned, with a baseball bat and glove, of course.) Less than two weeks later I flew down to Florida with my new son and my brother (I can still hear his imitation of my son crying at 3:00 a.m. for his bottle while the three of us bunked in her living room - "wah, wah, wah, wah") to visit my grandma and introduce her to her great grandson. She passed away about a week later. Yep, I might be becoming extremely forgetful lately - but there are some things you just never forget.

Happy birthday, JoeY!

Here's that picture - do not judge me for the hair, I truly don't know what I was thinking!





P.S. - for friends and family who live south of the border and have to deal with the sweltering 80 degree heat - here's what you're missing today up north - now aren't you jealous? (yeah, right!)


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I REMEMBER THAT DAY SO VIVIDLY....I WAS RUNNING AROUND MY APARTMENT IN EAST ISLIP SAYING...WE ARE HAVING A BABY WE ARE HAVING A BABY AND I GOT TO THE HOSPITAL AND THEY WERE WHEELING YOU INTO THE ER AND YOU LOOKED MISERABLE. AND THEN JOE COMES OUT(UUGGGG) IT'S A BOY....I WAS SO HAPPY FOR YOU AND HE WAS THE CUTEST LITTLE BOY. IT BLOWS MY MIND THAT HE IS 26!!! CRAP.....

"Aunt" Kathy

Anonymous said...

We all had hair like that in the 70s. And we thought we were stylin'.

Happy birthday to your baby boy!

Anonymous said...

time really flys by doesn't it lori? my son is 24 & just yesterday i put him on the bus for kindergarden...and so much more...
you look great pregnant! i was big as a house!
enjoy the snowy weekend & thank you so much for the 'friend'ly advice the other day!
deb (S.)

Anonymous said...

send some of that snow our way......

I enjoyed reading your blog. Time does fly by doesn't it? Not only will Heather be 24 but turning a mommy herself in a couple of weeks. She talks about labor and I reflect back to when I myself was in her position.

I can't wait for you guys to see her next week. Hopefully, it won't be snowing that day or I will be shooting myself for asking for it...LOL.

Love you guys and stay warm and snuggly

sinuousshunt said...

no, really. i was jealous while i was down south in honduras, but now that we've walked around all day in washington, i wouldn't mind returning to the warm weather :) snow, however, is a different story. how are you? im with dad, we're going to begoing home tomorrow for the holidays and then i should know what exactly is going on after new years. whatever it is, it's subsiding and not as extreme as we had thought originally, and if any of the tests do turn out really bad, i'll get a phone call at dad's and they'll pay for me to go to duke. anyway, i hope you're doing well. i love you. miss you. can't believe my cousins 26, let alone that i'm 23.... :)