Saturday, January 3, 2009

Dad

I can't help but wonder what my dad would have been like had he lived to celebrate his 84th birthday today.

Would he get on a computer? Would he have an email address? A cell phone? A GPS? A subscription to Satellite radio? An Ipod? A big screen tv? A DVR? An auto start for the car? My initial thoughts are no to all; (I mean this is a man who even refused to use a calculator!) however, after some pondering, I kind of think that perhaps he would have expanded his technological abilities along with the rest of the world!

Would he have sold his car and pedaled his bicycle all over town when gas cost over $4.00 per gallon? Oh, I'm pretty sure he would have! I don't have to ask if he would have voted for Obama, because there's no doubt in my mind about that.

I bet he'd love the fact that the Yankees haven't won a world series in several years and at the same time, be frustrated that the Mets still can't get their act together in the month of September. I wonder if he would have purchased tickets for this year's Superbowl, since it's going to be in Tampa (probably not).

I wonder about how nice it would have been to have a 50th wedding anniversary party for my mom and him (which would have been 5 years ago). I wonder what he'd think about the fact that both of his kids remarried. I wonder just how proud he'd be of all his grandchildren (very, I'm sure - and that's one of my favorite things to think about.)

I wonder if he would have talked my mom into getting another dog by now! (I'm really undecided about this one!)

And although I really do not believe in the afterlife, I often find myself wondering if he's been trying to send messages my way every now and then. Happy birthday, Dad - I miss you.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I wish I'd had the opportunity to meet your Dad, and for Barry to meet mine as well. Bit by bit I've started to get a picture of what he must have been like.

And like father like son, I'd wager Barry feels about the same re: Mets vs Yankees!

Gramzof3 said...

Claire: yea, you missed out on someone special - and I'm sure my brother and I did as well, not knowing your dad. Thanks for reading. Happy new year!

Barry said...

He would have definitely had a big tv, but i can't imagine him with a cell phone, let alone a Facebook account. He might have had a use for YouTube, though. And he certainly would have blown through his SS check every month buying crap on eBay.

There was actually a time about a decade ago when the Yankees were a team you could root for. Homegrown talent (Jeter, Posada, Williams, Pettite) and a deft touch with lunchpail free agents (Brosius, O'Neill, Martinez). Now, they've got the 4 biggest salaries in the game on one team. If i could get even money, i bet they don't even make the playoffs this year.

And if that happens, both Cashman and Girardi are toast. H. Steinbrenner is going to be a bigger jerk than his dad ever was.

I've got a special Best Song Ever being published later tonight for him.

Gramzof3 said...

Yea, as an afterthought, I knew he'd have a big screen tv. I must admit I didn't think about ebay, but I'm sure you're right -they would have had to get another room for all the old sports memorabilia!! I look forward to hearing the song you post - Sinatra, no doubt....

Anonymous said...

lori - your father is with you. do you follow/watch john edward (the psychic medium)? what ever you think MAY be signs from your dad - they ARE! interesting things you were wondering about how he would be. hope 2009 is a great year for you & those you love
deb (S).

Anonymous said...

nope, I can't call you tonight - I'm too busy crying. yup, we're even now.

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday BOBBY!

Anonymous said...

Hey there my cuz-in-law! You are such an inspiraption to me in your blogging. I have really gotten to know you through them. I have often thought about blogging now that I'm a Grandma. Which I might add that I have now changed my name for Alorah to Ya-Ya. Not that I'm Greek, but I want to be something different than what everyone else will be called. I use to 'journal.' In fact, I had a book (before computers) and wrote in it often. Sad part is I lost it and many memories and emotions. I love you guys. Thank you so very much for sharing this one.

Gramzof3 said...

Lori - I must say you are most definitely my favorite cousin-in-law! Thanks for the beautiful compliment - I don't know if my head will fit through the door now! Send me some pictures of your new granddaughter...Alorah - what a gorgeous name! And, you never know - your journal may show up one day. I understand how you feel, I still have all mine, even all the way back to junior high school!!

Anonymous said...

that was beautiful.
i cried a bit and read it outloud to hil and mom. we miss him, too. mom said "he was the open, warm one. he was always the best nose licker."
what's amazing is i actually remembered that it was his birthday yesterday. i said it to hilary and she was like, "really? how do you remember?" i don't know, i said. but i always do.

love you - dora