Friday, January 9, 2009

Whining in a Winter Wonderland

I know it's probably getting somewhat boring reading so many posts about the friggin white stuff that seems to be never ending this winter (and it's only early January); however, any one who knows me, knows how much I hate it. And, this is my blog, so I'll whine if I want to.

Here we go again:

WINTER WEATHER EXPECTED OVER THE WEEKEND...

.LOW PRESSURE WILL TRACK UP THE OHIO RIVER VALLEY THROUGH SATURDAY... PASS JUST SOUTH OF LONG ISLAND SATURDAY NIGHT... AND THEN MOVE WELL EAST OF THE AREA ON SUNDAY. THIS SYSTEM WILL PRODUCE HEAVY SNOWFALL OVER THE AREA FROM SATURDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH SUNDAY MORNING... MIXING WITH SLEET AT TIMES SATURDAY NIGHT ACROSS SOUTHERN LONG ISLAND AND NEW YORK CITY.

SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DEVELOP OVER NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY AND WESTERN PORTIONS OF THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AROUND MIDDAY BEFORE SPREADING FROM WEST TO EAST THROUGHOUT THE DAY. SNOW WILL THEN CONTINUE TO FALL THROUGH SATURDAY NIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES. THE SNOW WILL TAPER OFF SHORTLY AFTER SUNRISE ON SUNDAY.

THE LOW WILL PASS CLOSE ENOUGH TO LONG ISLAND THAT THE SNOW WILL MIX WITH SLEET AND POSSIBLY FREEZING RAIN LATE SATURDAY NIGHT ACROSS NEW YORK CITY AND LONG ISLAND LOCATIONS...

TOTAL SNOW ACCUMULATIONS FROM THIS SYSTEM WILL RANGE FROM 6 TO 9 INCHES ACROSS THE LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND INTERIOR CONNECTICUT... AND FROM 5 TO 7 INCHES ACROSS NORTHERN NEW YORK CITY... NASSAU AND NORTHERN SUFFOLK COUNTY... AND COASTAL PORTIONS OF NORTHEAST NEW JERSEY.

A WINTER STORM WARNING MEANS SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW...
SLEET... AND ICE ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. STRONG WINDS ARE ALSO POSSIBLE. THIS WILL MAKE TRAVEL VERY HAZARDOUS OR IMPOSSIBLE.

This means I cannot escape to the mall and lose myself in the only in-door exercise program in which I enjoy participating - "shopping till I drop," while the hubby watches his beloved Baltimore Ravens further their attempt at this year's Superbowl. I guess I'll have to "work out" by exercising my hand to my mouth while munching on the chips and dip; and cheese and crackers; and other delicious comfort foods purchased in an attempt to escape the dreaded forecast.

This also means that by the time bathing suit season returns I shall be shopping for a mu mu to cover up the damages from the winter-long nosh fest. Oh well, a girl's gotta eat.

And a quick shout out to my future daughter-in-law, Vanessa, (who resides in Florida and thinks snow is "so pretty") - I will post some pictures of the storm for you, as I curse my mom for telling me to take a civil service test when I was 18 so now I'm stuck here at a job that's way too good to leave so I can move to Florida - oh the epitome of irony.

Heavy sigh. 10 weeks til spring. More like 20 weeks til it gets warm. Heavier sigh...here's a peak at what I dream of while I look out the window as the thermometer struggles to climb out of the
20's:

5 comments:

caryl said...

They said on the news tonight that we're supposed to get a big cold front coming through during the night. Tomorrow's low will be a chilly 40 degrees. Brrr!!!

:)

Anonymous said...

I can certainly identify since a "friend" told me to take the same civil service test 20 years ago!!!!!
Thanks a lot,
Jani

Gramzof3 said...

Yes, Jani - but the difference is YOU would never leave NY even if you didn't have a great job. (See, I listen when you talk!)

Anonymous said...

just think - if your mom hadn't told you to take that test (so many, many years ago when you were 18!), you might be working in warm, sunny Florida for $7.50 an hour!

Gramzof3 said...

oh mom - you always did have to get the last word, didn't you?

P.S. - Congrats on making a blogger name!!