Tuesday, August 25, 2009

What a Country

Finally finished with the list of phone calls/faxes, letters, etc. involved in changing my name. It was amazing how simple some things were to change and how difficult other things were. Some businesses wanted everything short of a blood sample, while others didn't ask for any proof at all. But the real icing on the cake is the State of New York......"What a State." (In honor of my dad, who always uttered "What a Country."

I searched and searched the New York State website to learn how to change my name on my New York State Notary License. When I finally located the instructions - pretty basic stuff; fill out the form, enclose the $10 fee. Only problem was they didn't tell you where to locate the form, or where to send it upon completion. I was; however, fortunate enough to locate an email address. That was 8 days ago. Today, I received a phone call in my office from the county clerk's office. She was calling me to tell me to simply fill out the name change form and send it with my $10fee. When I inquired as to where to get the form, she told me that even though I send it in, since I had just renewed my license 2 months ago (they're good for 4 years), the State wouldn't change the name until I renew it again in 2013. So I had two choices - I could fill out the form, send it in with the $10 and wait until 2013 to get my new license, or I could leave everything as is and wait until 2013 to get my new license. Hmmm....there's a pickle...I even said to her: "So, you're telling me I should continue to use my notary stamp and sign the wrong name?" "Yes." was her response. You can't make this stuff up. What a State.

1 comment:

BellaBlueEyes said...

Yea, so i feel your post here. I had to call the FL nursing board to ask if I should fill out the application with my married name but they wont let me, since I completed school with my maiden name I have to use that... then I have to send in a form to have it changed once its issued... Talk about moronic!!!