Tuesday, August 11, 2009

The first 2009 heat wave

You can fry an egg on the sidewalk. The sun is out, the sky is blue. It finally feels like summer! Nothing like coming home from work at 3:00, changing quickly into a swim suit, trotting down (ok, slowly walking down) to the pool. Dreaming all the way of that first splash of water as I dive right on in (just the way dad taught me, no inch by inch for me.) As I get closer and closer I realize that something's missing. It's so quiet, it's eerie. Where are the loud calls of Marco - Polo in the distance? Where are those screetchy voices yelling "Ma, Ma, Ma, Ma, watch me." "When are you coming in?" Hmmm - I walk up to the gate - oh crap - it's Tuesday. The pool is closed. Sure - why not? UGGGHHH!!!!!! 93 degrees. It was a long walk home.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I bet you heard my "oh, Lori," all the way up in NY! Some days it just doesn't pay to get up. Just remember, tomorrow is another day. Love, Mom