Sunday, October 11, 2009

From one end of Long Island to the other end and wait til you read the end

Thank goodness tomorrow is a holiday. There is no way I would be able to go to work. My feet hurt so much that I can barely stand. I checked on the list of personal day reasons and "blistered feet" is not on there. Here's where the pain came from: yesterday we went into the city. (the LIRR to Penn station). We walked from there to China town. (For those of you who don't know, that is about 40 blocks - 2.2 miles). We walked for well over an hour once we got there - and oh what a great time that was. I think anyone teaching a class in sociology or psychology should take the students on a field trip to NYC. Just have them sit on any street corner and watch. They will learn more than any text book could ever teach. I mean, you see it all - you really truly see it all. From the naked cowboy to his nearly naked and nearly 70 year old mom, to what had to be at least 40 cops arresting one guy for trying to sell him a knock off Rolex. Unbelievable. After we shopped til we dropped, we took the subway to Times Square. We walked from there to FAO Schwartz. That's another 18 blocks. After that was a quick bite. ($20 for a hamburger!!!!). We then walked all the way back to Penn Station (24 blocks). Once back at the station, the car was parked quite a distance away. Today, we were out the door at 8:00 a.m. to pick up a pup from Bide A Wee and bring him to the Riverhead Country Fair. We had to park well over a mile away. We were on our feet until after 1:00. I so wanted to walk around the fairgrounds afterwards, but literally could not. Me - had to turn down shopping. I'm still sick over it! I don't know how I made the mile trek back to the car, but I did. My feet feel like cinder blocks are attached to them. The bottoms of my toes are all blistered. Would I do it again? You bet!!!! Here are some pictures from both days:

Click here to view these pictures larger


To make the perfect ending for a perfect day, the last two pictures are of "Prince." We used to walk him often. He is an 18 month old great dane and lab mix. Definitely one of the volunteers' favorites. He was adopted in August and we were so happy for him, but really missed him. Well, lo and behold, there he was at the fair today, with his new mommy and daddy (NOT captured on camera). We were so happy and excited to see him, we had tears in our eyes. But look how happy is!!! Yeah, you know what? We do good work.

No comments: