Tuesday, September 8, 2009

Bide A Wee goes to Main Street

Back in March when we attended the volunteer training orientation at Bide A Wee, it was mentioned that the volunteers sometimes get to bring the dogs to Main Street in Westhampton Beach donned with an "Adopt me" vest and parade them up and down the street. That was what sealed the deal for me. I knew this was something I wanted to do and finally, last Thursday I got my chance.

Unfortunately, I did not bring a camera. Actually, fortunately I did not bring a camera - as the dog I had was definitely a handful (both hands to be exact!). Phoenix is her name. She is a 6 month old pit bull mix. She is absolutely beautiful - all gray and white, with the face of an angel - really. Most people become quite squeamish when they hear "pit bull." For this reason, we told all our inquirers (and there were many) that she was a terrier mix. We fooled the naive, but not those in the know!

I'm embarrassed to admit that although I've lived on Long Island since I'm 7 years old, I am not all that familiar with Westhampton Beach. What a treat it was. Main Street is just filled with quaint little shops and restaurants, most of which have seating outside. Most dining patrons were eager to see us walking with Phoenix and they stopped eating to pet her and talk with us. Most of the proprietors have water dishes outside their shops for the dogs to stop and get a quick drink. Some entrepreneurs actually invited us into their shops (with Phoenix)!

It was an amazing experience. I loved talking with people and hearing their stories. Phoenix, on the other hand, was much more interested in all the plant life that decorates both sides of the street. It took all the strength I had to keep her attention on walking. I also discovered that she does not like other dogs very much. People - no problem, dogs, not so much. Still it was awesome. I hope that we find a home for her from all the contact information we gathered for the main office.

No comments: