Monday, April 13, 2009

The Old Man

This was my "speech" at my father in law's funeral last Wednesday:

I always thought I knew what rich meant until I met the Wilgis family. This family that is gathered here today taught me that it doesn’t take money to make you rich. All it takes is a hug and those three little words (that aren’t so little after all), "I love you."

My father in law, "The Old Man," as I so affectionately referred to him, told me he loved me like one of his own. For that I am a richer person. He never judged me, he just accepted me for who I am, despite the fact that I am a die hard Yankee fan! He even wore his Yankee tee shirt with pride, not because he became a fan, but because I gave it to him. (And the fact that the Orioles stomped all over the Yankees Monday night was just his way of getting the last word, but that's ok, he deserves it.) My phone will no longer ring when the Orioles hit a home run, but it will ring in my heart forever.

The Old Man taught me everything I know about football. While watching the Super bowl together this year, he taught me the difference between “off sides” and “false start” – something even my husband could never get me to understand. He tried and he tried to get me to become a Ravens fan and to that all I have to say is “Let’s go Jets!”

Goodbye old man. I am a better person because you let me know the real you. You let me into your heart. I was proud to be your “favorite daughter in law.” I will miss you.

3 comments:

caryl said...

That's really nice. He sounds like he was a great man.

So you read this at his funeral? Man, I don't know how you got through it. But that was a great gift you gave the family, to square your shoulders and just do it.(I don't think I could.)

Gramzof3 said...

Wow - thanks. It wasn't easy, but somehow I got through it. You could have done it too - some things never change, Caryl - you never give yourself enough credit.

Anonymous said...

to my wife who dont give enough cridet to i just want to say that i love you and every time i read this it just brings tears to my eyes but not of sadness but of joy and for that and all the things you have done in the last seven years i love you more and more everyday. love you very much your home. (herb)